Release 1.4.1 is now available.
We announced the release of Version 1.4.1 this morning. We held off a couple of extra days because of a bug that surfaced where Depiction would start to come up, the initial splash screen would show up and then it would close without any error messages. We had 5 people report this in the last week. It didn’t look like we were going to find the bug very quickly so we went ahead and released 1.4.1 build 12233 and then this evening our fearless developer Jason found the problem. So now there is another new release on the website (build 12242). This new build only fixed the bug and so if you have already updated to Build 12233 and haven’t experienced the bug then you don’t need to upgrade to this build, but you can if you like.
The main purpose of this release was to remove Topo as a tiling source, since the service that was feeding out the Topo map closed down on May 1st 2012. You may still see the Topo tiler with your depictions if you had used it before for your area and the tiles are still in your cache, but if you go to a new area they won’t be available. New customers of Depiction won’t have the Topo tiles in their cache and so would be confused by the Topo tiler option that doesn’t do anything. We know many of you will want to move to 1.4.1 for the few bug fixes and a few other enhancements, but will still want to use the Topo tiles in your cache. So for you we have created a free add-on that will put the Topo tiler option back in. You can find it here.
There are a few minor enhancements in this version.
- Now when you choose a new background tiling source you will be given a list of the available sources to choose from.
- The filter on manage and display content now takes regular expressions. Regular expressions allow you to do operations such as OR. For example the string “Apple” would match all elements containing “Apple” in the hover text. The OR operator is “|” and as such the string “Apple|Orange” would match all elements containing either Apple or Orange in their hover text. (This symbol is found above the “\” key just below the “backspace” key)
- When you do a CSV import with the address field in separate fields (address, city, state, zip) and the USC geo-coder reports back that it couldn’t do an exact match it places the icon in the center of the zip code. Now when this happens the icon will have a red border so that you know that the icon isn’t in the right place.
- We added the option to hide the world outline in the setting dialog.
By un-checking this box the outline of various countries will be turned off. You would only see this if you zoomed way out. However, turning it off should provide some minor performance improvements.
- Now when you select to hide the menu bar, the quick add content, the select option and tiler options are all hidden.
We also had a few bug fixes, which included:
- Multiple fixes for “send live report”.
- Fix for crash when zooming way out.
- Fix for printing the map without menus.
- In the Add Content dialog, the auto-detect element is now the default. Before you had to select an element before you could continue and this wasn’t always obvious especially when adding shape files.
- There was a bug that if two waypoints in a route resided at the same location, the program would add some random routes. This has now been fixed.
- Selecting the geo-locate element from the right click context menu is back.
- Antenna and Line of Sight elements should now work properly.